Yellow King: Starting with a Classic
Following on from my Yellow King RPG article, here is a list of stories to maybe base scenarios from as per the section Starting with a Classic (Page 75 of the YKRPG Paris preview draft). Some are pretty obvious:
- Dracula, Bram Stoker – I suspect I would just lean on the London portion. Don’t miss the delightfully lurid yellow cover of the first edition.
- Frankenstein, Mary Shelley.
- The Island of Doctor Moraeu, H.G. Wells.
- The Hound of the Baskervilles. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- The Most Dangerous Game, Richard Connell – Maybe set this in a weirdly distorted version of Jardin des Plantes near the end of Paris series when Carcosa has the most influence.
The following perhaps less obvious suggestions come from the Gumshoe Discord. Tom Bagatelle suggested the following:
- Green Tea, Sheridan Le Fanu – Tom suggests changing it to be about the Green Fairy
- An Account of Some Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street also by Le Fanu.
- The Sandman, E. T. A. Hoffman.
And from Erik Otterberg:
- The Spider, Hanns Heinz Ewers.
- Various stories by Guy de Maupassant. Candidates include Who Knows?, The Horla, Was It A Dream?, and The Englishman.